Pages

Monday 1 November 2010

NaNoWriMo by Numbers

It wouldn't be weird if you had no idea what NaNoWriMo was. I know about it, but I'm also one of the eccentric writing types that thrives on deadlines. You may very well not be one of those types, which should further your claim to residence in Normalville. I hear it's a nice place.

National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo) is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30.

For me, last week was JoNoOutWe, or Joanna's Novel Outlining Week. I had a few concepts floating
around in my portfolio for a while, but I wanted to be sure I tackled the right one at the right time. The inspiration came to me when I recalled a Skype call I'd had with my daddy a while ago. He requested a manuscript for Christmas. You know, just a manuscript... nothing too flashy. So, after fishing though my plethora of series concept outlines, I landed upon one that highlights family dynamic, friendship and frustrations with (and ultimately triumphing over) boys. It was, essentially, my anti-paranormal-romance series.

It was going to have a strong female lead with solid prose and moving internal monologue. It was NOT going to focus on her obsession with a swarthy man-boy, but feature healthier, balanced relationships with family, friends and romance. And there would be nothing supernatural in it. Because, let's face it, real life has so much drama, so many twists and loads of excitement... vampires, werewolves, angels and magic just get in the way.

The WT is The Story of Julia Fisk, and it is my NaNoWriMo.

Now for that (brief) Monday List...

NaNoWriMo by Numbers
16  songs on my playlist (I find it easier to write when I don't have surprise songs distracting me)
8  caffeinated Nespresso pods left--almost time to place another order
characters sleeping on the floor
1  Facebook mention
0  characters killed so far (We're not in war, this number should stay relatively low)
1  food mention, but definitely more to come
2  hot drinks already consumed today
5387  words I've written so far
4613  words left to go to reach my 10k on Day One goal (Why am I blogging?)


The Story of Julia Fisk -- this one's for you daddy!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Fellow NaNoWriMo(er)!

    Your day 1 goal is incredible! Many kudos to your commitment to 10K! I actually had to incentivize myself by promising to skip to the nail salon for a pedi the second I hit 10,000 words...nothing quite like some external motivation!

    Keep up the good writing!

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?