Pages

Friday 16 July 2010

Kindle

So, I got an Amazon Kindle. I didn't buy it myself, my dad somehow got it for free and now (1) since he hadn't been using it much, (2) he knows I would use it a lot and (3) he's been drooling over the iPad like a St Bernard at a butchers... it's mine! Yeah, it's not in colour like the iPad, but I only charge my Kindle like once a month and I use is all the time. So, this post is dedicated to my Kindle and the following entries will be the books that I've read on them.
1. Lies by Michael Grant
2. Shiver and Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

I'll start with my biggest gripe. Just get it out of the way and move on to how awesome it is. My gripe: 
I can't seem to figure out how to connect it to the 3G in the UK. It's possible that the Kindle I have is the old one, in which case I just do it on my computer.

Now that that's out of the way...

The Kindle is so light and it's every book I ever want to own in one place. Plus, it makes sense that the classics are free. I shouldn't have to pay for books in public domain. After all, the content creator is no longer getting money for it.

Yes yes yes! I still love the physical book! But this thing is amazing. I almost don't want to go through the hassle of going to the shop (getting lost, not knowing what i want) to buy a book ever again. I just go online (where I have all the reviews I could ever want), order, download and VOILA! It's like freaking magic! And this is key: I find it easier to read in bed (where I do a lot of reading). No need to turn pages, just press the button. I don't even have to move my arm. No cold air gets under the covers.

You might say I'm just being lazy, and maybe it IS the lazy person's book, and maybe I'm lazy. But none of that really matters, does it? It's people reading! That's what it's all about. Reading, learning, experiencing.

You know, I could stop there. But I simply can not!

So, I recently quit my sim only plan and upgraded to a 24 month deal with Vodafone. I was only interested in one phone: the HTC Desire. Now, my younger brother actually has a better version of this phone called the HTC Droid Incredible; however, after I did some research and realised that HTC wasn't ever going to release the Incredible in the UK, I opted for the next best option. The Desire is fantastic. It takes a couple drains and charges for the battery to realise its full potential, but, especially since I've only ever had a mobile phone to use as, well, a phone (texting and calls), this thing just blows my mind. I can respond to e-mails straight away, check on facebook and twitter anywhere, and it's also my diary, mp3 player, my gameboy, my map, my g-chat/AIM/MSN messenger (not Skype, yet, mind you) AND (yeah, you thought I lost the plot here, but I haven't) it's also MY KINDLE.

It's so easy. Since I have Linger downloaded to my Kindle account, I can pull it up on my phone and do some reading. Say I left my Kindle at home and now I'm stuck on a bus in traffic, I can read the book I'm in the middle of. It's freaking amazing!

I can just see the day when a publisher is a content creator. Part of it is written, part audio, some visual. It's sent to your phone. Either a one-off package or something that comes in installments like episodes or serials. That is going to be a remarkable product. I can't wait.

I really think Amazon has done something amazing that translates across the different electronic forms. I do love my Kindle very much. Almost as much as I love the stories themselves. Almost...

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?