Pages

Tuesday 21 June 2011

So... About That Time Machine

A while ago I flashed-back to one of my many journeys from my Kings Road dorms to South Kensington tube station, where I found on an empty platform and a time machine disguised as a Cadbury's chocolates dispenser.

And that got me thinking... thinking about something we all know is immensely true, but probably don't think about enough: time has a lot to do with setting and has a great influence on a story.

Where to set a story within the space of TIME?

There's so much choice! I could go from 'Ancient History' (let's say, 3000BC) to anywhere in the future (how about 3000AD, just to put a limit on it).


So, I did this:


A random number generator between -3000 and 3000. I ended up with the year 1796.

Curious, I think ventured over to Wikipedia to see what happened that year. Here are just a few...

April 12 – War of the First CoalitionBattle of Montenotte: Napoleon Bonaparte gains his first victory as an army commander.
May 14Edward Jenner administers the first smallpox vaccination.
July 11 – The United States takes possession of Detroit from Great Britain under the terms of the Jay Treaty.

Obviously, being a Michigander, the Detroit thing stopped me in my tracks. I'm even more interested because it has a great underlying 'down with the monarchy' tone to it. Anyway, I then go to http://www.detroitmi.gov/ and learn about Detroit in the 1700s:
1768: King George grants McDougall ownership of Hog Island; cost: 194 pounds sterling
1771: Geographic survey establishes the island's size to be 704 acres
1773: Census: 200 farm animals; 5 people
1783: Treaty of Paris ends the Revolutionary War; Hog Island becomes American territory
1794: William Macomb purchase Hog Island from McDougall's heirs for 813 pounds sterling
All interesting things, but I'm still interested about the de-Anglicisation of Detroit. So I venture over to www.historydetroit.com and stumble across this: a proposed plan for Detroit after the fire of 1805. Now, start a story in Detroit on June 11, 1805, and I think you're definitely headed somewhere.

Just a little picking around and you find something interesting; something that has a story to it.

Try it yourself!

At the very least, click the randomiser and find a year and see if you can find anything interesting, or if the date is in the future, what do you think will have changed from the world we know today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?